Updated: Oct 6, 2022
I am delighted to announce that ICTWAND now has an online school at TEACHABLE. https://ictwand.teachable.com/
Self-paced online courses for teachers and leaders in primary schools. Study from anywhere. Access courses at a time to suit you. Downloadable materials.
One of the most popular courses is reading comprehension:
Maximise the impact of whole class texts. Increase engagement in lessons. Teach reading skills effectively. Learn about the barriers to comprehension.
This course focuses on reading and is ideal for both teachers and English leaders.
Teachers and leaders can study to a depth and breadth that matches their role, from early career teachers to experienced teachers. There are materials ideal for reading leaders.
Teachers can complete the online courses at their own pace. Packed full of video presentations, tutorials, teaching resources, advice sheets and guidance booklets, the course is an excellent way of developing expertise at times and places to suit you.
The courses can be purchased as a single user or as a school. Payments can be made via the online site, or the school can be invoiced and login details provided via email. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements. Discounts are also available for bulk access to online courses.
Study booklets support teachers in developing reading lessons and getting the most from the online course.
A wide range of print materials are included to help make lessons easy to implement.
Video tutorials can be displayed on a large screen to enable colleagues to work together. It is useful to mix individual study with paired / small group study. The materials can aid professional dialogue about reading.
Print materials, such as worksheets provide ideas and aid implementation.
Support for book talk.
Aid thinking and decision making with the aid of planning sheets.
Lots of bonus materials.
The courses represent excellent value for money.
Covered within the reading course are a number of themes:
· understanding how reading develops in different key stages;
· setting out a vision for reading in your school;
· selecting texts to inspire and putting together combinations that will give breadth and depth to the curriculum;
· different approaches to using books in the classroom, e.g. designing and delivering whole class reading sessions, developing effective independent reading, utilising group and paired reading structures;
· the ‘big 10’ reading comprehension strategies – what they are and how to teach them;
· practical activities that can be used with any book;
· questioning and improving the quality of book talk;
· identifying the difficulties pupils experience with comprehension and addressing these problems;
· addressing the demands of the National Curriculum and tests;
· how to effectively lead reading across the school.
“Extremely useful. The course is already having an impact on reading.”
“I feel totally inspired and determined to improve reading.”
“Wow! Superb – brilliant ideas that I can use straight away in class. So many new resources which I know will engage the children.”
“Everything! It has given me a real boost to think more about how reading is taught and what the children need. Thank you for all the brilliant resources.”
“Fantastic resources. Very well explained. Lots of examples of good practice. Great ideas to use in the classroom.”